Dear Creswell Families,
On Wednesday, February 8, 2023, the Creswell School Board voted unanimously to refer an $18.2 million bond measure to voters in the May 2023 special election. If the bond is approved, the District also would receive a $4 million state matching grant, for a total of $22.2 million to use for facilities improvements.
The bond and grant funds would be used to:
- Repair and update schools, including roofs, electrical systems, plumbing, HVAC systems, kitchen, flooring, exterior walls, mold and asbestos abatement, parking lots, improvements to sports facilities
- Improve the learning environment by modernizing classrooms where needed, adding air conditioning and renovating unfinished classroom space
- Increase safety and security by adding secured entry points, revamping security cameras, parking lot entry and exit ways to improve traffic flow, installing an emergency generator
- Increase access to vocational training, including adding Career and Technical Education classrooms
- Establish a School Based Health Center in remodeled District office space and relocate the District office
Because an existing bond will soon be retiring, the bond tax rate is not expected to increase if the proposed measure passes.
The Board’s decision came after considerable research and community involvement. In 2018, the District conducted a facilities assessment with PAE Engineers and GLAS Architects, LLC, identifying a long list of needs, including roof and exterior repairs, upgrades to the HVAC and electrical systems, asbestos and mold mitigation as well as the need for more vocational training opportunities. In 2022, staff and community members participated in a comprehensive needs assessment and strategic planning process to develop a vision and plan to guide the District over the next 3-5 years. As part of that process, a 50-member citizen committee identified state-of-the-art facilities as a priority, both for student learning and for use as reunification sites in the event of local disasters.
Soon, I will be scheduling community forums to provide more information about the bond and to answer any questions you may have.
Superintendent Creswell School District