The McKinney-Vento Act is a federal law guaranteeing all children and youth the right to an equal education, regardless of their living situation. Protection under the McKinney-Vento Act extends to students experiencing homelessness who lack a fixed, regular, and adequate nighttime residence.
Are you currently living:
- In a shelter or transitional housing
- In a motel or hotel
- In a tent, RV, public space, vehicle or campground
- With others due to economic hardship or a loss of housing
If you are experiencing any of these situations, please contact our McKinney-Vento liaison who can refer you to resources and help coordinate services.
Eligible students have the right to:
- Expedited enrollment in the appropriate school
- Receive free/reduced price meals
- Attend their school of origin
- Receive support from the district’s McKinney-Vento liaison