Hello, Creslane Families!
This year we were unable to host our annual jog-a-thon. While this was a bit of a bummer, we aren’t going to let it stop us from running some kind of “thon.” Well, I guess it did stop us from running as part of our “thon” but that doesn’t matter. This year we are going to do a read-a-thon!
We are still hoping that you will search for sponsors but this year we wanted to shift our goal from tracking money raised to hours read by our kids. As such, kids will earn prizes for total hours read and not money raised. BUT THE MONEY STILL HELPS!
How does a read-a-thon work?
Everyone will receive a link (https://forms.gle/GxPKCePvjurRz2nJ7) that they can send to friends, family, neighbors, or whoever you like. The link is to a form where they can sign up to support their favorite young readers. Sponsors will have the option of donating money per hour read by the child or a set amount.
Kids will be able to use this link (https://forms.gle/Cku2YzAbyhJLibnL6) to track their hours read. Students can submit their hours read every day or save them up and turn them all in at the end. Whatever works best for your family!
At the end of the read-a-thon each reader will be told how many hours they completed so they can inform any sponsors they might have. Sponsors can then pay via credit card, PayPal or a check made out to Creslane PTO. Again, sponsors are great, but reading is better!
When is the read-a-thon? The read-a-thon will run from January 15th to February 15th of 2021.
What books can kids read? They can read whatever they want to read! Comic books, chapter books, picture books. It doesn’t matter! All reading is reading and since we are going by hours spent reading rather than pages read or books finished it won’t have an impact on the final reading count for each child.
• Each student who gets at least $1 in sponsorships will be put in a drawing for a student desk!
• Each student who logs a total of 5 hours or more will be put in a drawing for a student desk!
• The top 2 individual readers of each grade level who read the most hours will win a $10 Amazon gift card!
• The class who reads the most hours will win a gift card to Bean Hopper for a free kids drink for everyone in the class! AND this class of readers will earn their teacher a gift card to a Creswell restaurant of their choice!
• If we reach our school wide goal of 500 hours, Nick the Creswell youth librarian will sing karaoke for the whole school. And the kids will get to help pick the song! As a reminder the Creslane Library is open for checkout.
The link to reserve books at the Creslane Library is: http://22.214.171.124/cataloging/servlet/presentadvancedsearchredirectorform.do?l2m=Library%20Search&tm=TopLevelCatalog&l2m=Library+Search
Pick-up occurs each Wednesday from 12:30-2:30 in the parent pick-up line.