Tomorrow, February 27th, is our February CATCH day here at Creslane. This month’s theme is “Heart Healthy Habits”. In conjunction with National Heart Health Month we plan to teach 12 heart healthy habits to students in addition to our monthly CATCH lessons. https://hvparent.com/12-heart-healthy-habits-to-share-with-your-kids.
- Get a good night’s sleep!Instill the habit of bedtime routines and safe sleeping environments.
- Get outside & play.Studies show that people who spend time in nature have fewer anxiety disorders, digestive diseases and a healthier mind, body & spirit.
- Don’t smoke, or quit now! Talking to kids throughout their childhood about the risks is always a good idea. Don’t forget to set a good example too
- Spend time with loved ones.A healthy heart isn’t referring only to the beating organ in your chest. Recognizing the signs and symptoms of depression, anxiety and stress is important to making good choices that will keep your heart healthy. Pick up the phone and call someone, take a walk with a friend or seek therapy if you have no loved ones nearby
- Eat lots of fruits & vegetables.Cook more meals at home, swap out processed food & ad more color to your plate with fruits & veggies for a healthier heart.
- Raise your heart rate. There are easy ways to get your family moving and your heart rate up without needing to hit the gym. Take the dog for a walk, park further from the entrance to a store and take the stairs to step up your heart rate.
- Visit all your doctors. Get in the routine of regular health services, screenings and treatments so that you and your family will be on your way to living a long and healthy life.
- Eat at home. Healthy eating starts at home. Involve the whole family in learning how to shop, prepare and cook healthy meals that everyone will enjoy.
- Enjoy good mood foods. Foods such as fruits and veggies, Omega-3 fats & chocolate have health benefits that are sure to boost your mood.
- Be grateful!Practicing gratuity, according to researchers will have a lasting positive impact on overall health including lowered blood pressure & improved immune health.
- Surround yourself with healthy relationships!Studies show that social relationships, for better or worse effect mental and physical health and mortality rate. Surround yourself with positive, healthy relationships, your heart will thank you!
- Live by example. Setting a good example for exercising, eating and living well will set your kids up for a healthy life.
Friday. February 28th, is Soap Box Derby Day. If you are interested in volunteering please contact your child’s teacher or the PTO at creslanePTO@gmail.com.
Mrs. Halley, Principal